Your Baby-Friendly Hospital
We're proud to lead our state in caring for babies and mothers. That's why we've worked hard to become a Baby-Friendly designated hospital—the first in Mississippi. At Forrest General, we love our babies and we're committed to giving them the best possible start in life.
Being Baby-Friendly means we’re also one of only 479 hospitals and birth centers in the entire country to earn this recognition. It also means we take extra measures to provide the highest standard of care for lactating mothers and their babies. For moms and babies to receive the numerous benefits of breastfeeding we recommend following the 10 Steps to Successful Breastfeeding listed below:
- Have a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely communicated to all health care staff.
- Train all health care staff in the skills necessary to implement this policy.
- Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
- Help mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth.
- Show mothers how to breastfeed and how to maintain lactation, even if they are separated from their infants.
- Give infants no food or drink other than breast-milk, unless medically indicated.
- Practice rooming in—allow mothers and infants to remain together 24 hours a day.
- Encourage breastfeeding on demand.
- Give no pacifiers or artificial nipples to breastfeeding infants.
- Foster the establishment of breastfeeding support groups and refer mothers to them on discharge from the hospital or birth center.
If you’re looking for a friendly place to welcome your baby, look to Forrest General!