The Cancer Registry is a key component of the cancer program at Forrest General. The registry's focus is to exceed the expectations of the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer standards and fulfill the Cancer Committee's vision. The goal of the registry is to guarantee accurate and timely collection of diagnosed and/or treated cancer patient data. The Cancer Registry at Forrest General has been in operation since 1968, which allows for evaluation of patient outcomes and identification of opportunities for improvement over an extended period of time.
For this past year, Registry activities included:
- Monthly submission of cancer data to the Mississippi Cancer Registry
- Participation in and compliance with the National Cancer Database (NCDB) "Annual Call for Data"
- Maintenance of the cancer database
- Fulfilling requests for data and performing studies utilizing registry data
- Coordinating and managing the weekly Cancer Conferences and the Cancer Committee meetings.
- Producing and publishing the Cancer Program Annual Report
- Maintaining the Facility Information Profile System (FIPS)
The Cancer Committee is a multidisciplinary body that includes physicians and nonphysician professionals, hospital administration and support services to represent the full scope of cancer care. The Committee is responsible for cancer program leadership.
The cancer (tumor) conference is held weekly on Tuesday at noon in Forrester's Cafeteria and offers multidisciplinary consultative services for patients, discussion among cancer program team members, and educational conferences for physicians and allied health professionals. The leading cancer sites in frequency include breast, lung, colon, head and neck, prostate, brain, unknown, and lymphoma/leukemia. Forrest General Hospital is accredited by the Mississippi State Medical Association to provide continuing medical education (CME) for physicians of one credit towards the American Medical Association's Physician's Recognition Award for each conference attended. For more information about the Cancer Conference, please contact the Cancer Registry at 601-288-2914.