Dreams of Asbury Hospice House become reality at groundbreaking ceremony
HATTIESBURG, Miss. – (June 15, 2015) After numerous years of thoughtful planning and fundraising, the Forrest General Healthcare Foundation hosted a groundbreaking ceremony June 15 for the Asbury Hospice House. The event was held in collaboration with Mac’s Construction, who successfully acquired the construction bid for this project.
The 5 million dollar philanthropic campaign and land donation for this new facility has been successful through the Foundation’s volunteer and community support.
“The Asbury Hospice House will be the latest example of how fortunate we are to have so many generous people in our area that can make dreams like this become a reality. We will truly be blessed with this new service for hospice patients,” said Bill Oliver, President of the Forrest General Healthcare Foundation.
The land, based just south of Hardy Street on 40th Avenue, adjacent to the United States Postal Office, was made possible through the donation of Susan and John Thomson. Susan Thomson stated, “Our family’s experience with hospice was wonderful and life changing. John and I wanted to contribute the property to give other families a peaceful and sacred setting.”
The Asbury Hospice House will help those patients who need around-the-clock care but may not have caregivers who can provide that at home. For such patients, the hospice house will be a beautiful place to spend their last months, weeks, or days surrounded by family, friends, and caring physicians and staff who are experts at hospice care. “Seeing this project coming out of the ground will be a great reminder of how so many people working together can make a difference in the community,” Oliver stated.
About Asbury Hospice House
First announced in 2013 by the Forrest General Healthcare Foundation, the Asbury Hospice House will provide a home-like setting with around-the-clock-support, while providing for the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of each patient and family. Care will be family-focused, allowing the patient to have the security of loved ones by their side, now and for generations to come.
Asbury Hospice House features include:
- A home nestled on almost five acres in a natural serene environment that is also convenient to the area’s amenities;
- 12 patient rooms serving 19 counties across South Mississippi;
- A Great Room for families and friends to gather any time of the day or night;
- Large patient rooms with a comfortable setting for guests and space for pictures and mementos from home;
- Peaceful gardens will surround the house with beautiful landscaping;
- A chapel that is open day and night for times of spiritual reflection;
- A common dining area and kitchen where families can gather for support and comfort;
- A patio to relax and enjoy beautiful weather and natural surroundings.