The Family Birthplace at Forrest General
As a mother, you deserve your birthing experience to be positive and memorable. We know that where and how you have your baby is your choice, and it is one that you do not take lightly. From the moment you come in the door to the time you take your baby home, we want you to feel comfortable and confident in your choice of choosing Forrest General to be a part of your special life moments.
The Family Birthplace Advantage
The Family Birthplace was designed with the expectant mother and her family's priorities in mind. Because of that, the Family Birthplace entrance is located on the 4th floor of the parking garage. Your last chapter of your journey to motherhood starts just steps away from where you get out of the car. You'll also experience the difference of our specialized staff, who are solely dedicated to the care and well-being you, your newborn and your family.
Forrest General is the first and only hospital in Mississippi to achieve Baby-Friendly
designation, which recognizes hospitals and birthing centers that offer an optimal level of care for infant feeding and mother/baby bonding.
What to Bring
lip balm, lotion and
Personal Items: two
nightgowns, robe, slippers,
support bras, panties and
your "going home" outfit.
Baby Items: baby blanket,
federally approved rear-
facing car seat, baby
book and baby outfit
nightgowns are difficult
to manage in a car seat)
Labor and Delivery Suites
- Private labor and delivery rooms with birthing beds, surgical suites and a recovery room.
- Labor, delivery and recovery occur in the same room for your comfort and ease of transition.
- We welcome birthing coaches, and they may stay with you throughout labor and delivery.
- These suites create a soothing atmosphere with all the comforts of home. The unit includes larger rooms to encourage family bonding, as well as allow the staff to continue providing family-centered patient care
- At the Family Birthplace, we care for infants and their mothers together. Mothers and newborns remain together for the entire hospital stay. This is "couplet" care, and it enhances bonding between the mother, baby and the family.
- Postpartum is the time when your family begins to bond, and it is a time for you and your newborn to stabilize after delivery. During postpartum, you may experience a range of emotions due to changes which occur following childbirth. Rest is important during the postpartum period, and our staff is here 24/7 to accommodate your needs during this time.
- The Family Birthplace staff will also help you with breastfeeding techniques, and other aspects of your newborn's care such as holding, feeding, bathing and dressing.
- The Family Birthplace has a newborn transition nursery for stabilization after birth and a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) for babies needing specialized care.
- Under normal circumstances, we encourage babies to stay in the room with the mother. This "rooming in" concept allows for unlimited bonding time between you and your baby.
Women and Children's Video Library
For more information on maternity services, delivering your baby at the Family Birthplace, or childbirth and pregnancy classes, call Forrest Health OnCall at 1-800-844-4445 between the hours of 3-8 p.m., Monday through Friday, or submit a contact form below.
Contact Forrest Health
Download our Family Style Booklet for more information on the Family Birthplace